Monday, June 29, 2015

Spend Your Life

A week ago today I spent the day with a girl named Jamilyn. It came as a complete shock to us to hear that she passed away last Thursday. I'm thankful for the circumstances that led me to get to join the trip into town with Jamilyn, Britney, and Emily to purchase Haitian artisan goods. In that day I got to learn about her life, her love for the Lord, and her dreams. She served in a role in her church as a buyer for their fair trade market, so she got to travel to different countries, listen to people's stories and support their businesses which is what brought her back to Haiti. What an amazing woman and follower of the Lord she was! We can celebrate what she was for us and for Jesus and that she's with Him now more perfectly and wholly than ever before. This has served as a reminder of the brevity and mist of life. Her life and her soul is gone from this earth and that's sad. We miss her. It's confusing and we mourn. But there's a tension of joy and sadness. Without Jesus, there would be no hope in this situation. There's a richness about moments like this where the Lord is near to the broken-hearted. The three of us here in Haiti were honored to spend some of Jamilyn's last days with her.  I'm grateful to have met her and experience her life. Would you join me in lifting up her family and friends in prayer for the Lord's presence as they process and mourn the loss of their daughter, sister, and friend?

I'll end with a quote from Jamilyn and her time on earth:

"Things don't go to heaven, people go to heaven, so that's what I'm going to spend my life on." Jamilyn Hull 

Here's a clip from her church in Texas:

No comments:

Post a Comment