Sunday, June 28, 2015

Week 2-Can you believe it's halfway?

A couple little updates from this week...
 
I tried to see Sophia, the student I sponsor as soon as I got here, but it was too late because school had already gotten out for Kindergarten students. So we began to get help from the Village Champions to find a way to see her, but hadn't been successful yet. Fast forward to Wednesday, and I had walked down to the church to meet with our Pastor and on my walk back up, I see a little girl(bigger than the last time I'd seen her) standing on the steps of the school in her precious Kindergarten uniform. I read her name, because in Kindergarten it is sewn onto the front of their uniform, and out loud shrieked "Sophia!!" She is a little shy, and didn't recognize who this crazy lady was yelling her name, but after showing her a few pictures from previous visits, she understood. Then it gets even better! Her mom was with her! They had come to pick up Sophia's grade card. So I asked her mom if she knew who I was, and she said "Yes, I know you from letters." Melt. My. Heart. We exchanged a few words in Creole and snapped this picture together. I'm so thankful for this unplanned (by me) visit with Sophia!
 

On Wednesday afternoon, I got to help facilitate a sponsorship visit that was like none other I had experienced before. A couple of years ago, the student needed surgery that was too dangerous to perform in Haiti, so he was able to be sent to the States. Throughout his time in the States, the Haitian student needed a place to stay, and God knew just the right people. There is a family who has a heart for Haiti that live in the same city that the surgery was in and were able to take care of and fall in love with this student. When it was time for the student to move back home to Haiti, the Miami family wanted him in a good school where he would learn academically and grow in his love for the Lord. They got in touch with Mission of Hope and were able to get him in our school. Since then, they've been his sponsors and able to encourage him with gifts and letters through our sponsorship program.
 
The student's biological family and Miami family both have a deep love for the student, but hadn't had the joy of meeting each other until this day. It was beautiful to see both families interact and communicate their love for the student and gratitude for the other. The Gospel was shared, stories and ways of life were exchanged, and we all left feeling encouraged. The student is doing well in our school, and living a successful life in Haiti. The two families remain in touch.

 
 
 

On Friday I had the honor of celebrating 125 Haitian students graduate. It was so encouraging to see them sent out to play a role in the transformation of this nation with their knowledge and their God. There were songs, poems, speeches, and the whole bit. It was cool to see the North American church and the Haitian church come together and support these students. One of the students graduating was from our orphanage, so it was an extra special graduation for us.

 
Looking back on this post, you can see the thread of student sponsorship throughout. Students were able to graduate with the help of sponsors, lives have been changed because of sponsors, and God is sovereign over that relationship with the sponsor and the student.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment